You may be eligible for a discount on stamp duty of up to $23,928 plus the home renovation grant of up to $10,000.
First home owner discount
first home owner discount is stamp duty assistance up to $23,928.60, available
to eligible first home buyers of an established home. An established home is one that has been previously sold or occupied, and is able to be lawfully occupied as a place of residence. To be eligible:
applicants or their spouse or de facto partners must not or have ever held a
relevant interest in residential property in Australia.
- All applicants must be acquiring the whole property in their own right, not as an agent, trustee or in any other capacity.
- At least one of the applicants must be occupying the home as their principal place of residence for a continuous period of at least six months commencing within 12 months of taking possession of the home.
- Applicants must have entered into a contract to acquire an established home on or after 1 September 2016.
- Applicants must be a natural person (not a company or trustee) and at least one of the applicants must be 18 years of age or more.
- At least one applicant will be an Australian citizen or permanent resident of Australia.
- Applicants must have
entered into a contract to purchase an established home on or after 1 September
You will be able to apply for the discount if you are purchasing an established home in the Northern Territory up to the value of
$650,000.More information and apply here
Home renovation grant
If you buy an established property as your first home you may be able to get a $10,000 grant to renovate or improve it. To be eligible for the $10,000 grant you:
- must first have been approved for the first home owner discount
- can't be an owner-builder or do-it-yourself renovator
- must use a local business that operates in the Northern Territory (NT), has a permanent base here and employs NT people.
to $2,000 of the $10,000 renovation grant can be used to buy household goods.More information and apply here